Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Glad you got to see me!"

This is my grandmother and I before my wedding. When I was growing up I remember coming to Lubbock to visit a couple of times a year, and I have a few funny memories of her from my childhood.

I knew her best as an adult. I lived with her for my last 2 semesters of nursing school. While it was not always easy to live together, considering the 52 years of age between us, I am glad that we did. I think back now on some of the things she would say and I laugh out loud.

She would have very vivid dreams that were SO strange, and she always remembered them well enough to tell you the next day. One morning she called and cancelled her subscription to the newspaper right at 8 a.m. because it was raining and they threw the paper under her car. She was a BIG fan of Star Search and American Idol - we disagreed about season 2, Ruben vs. Clay. She loved Texas Tech sports, always watched the games on TV. I never heard her laugh harder than when she watched old episodes of the Match Game. She bought the purple dress she is wearing above at Dillards a few weeks before my wedding. My mom, sister, aunt and I were all there. I will never forget how hard we laughed in the dressing rooms.

She loved old Hymms from the old songbooks. We sang some to her the hours before she died, and even as weak as she was, she tried to sing with us. I had never been, and haven't been since, at the completion of someone's life with them.

She died when Lola was about 6 weeks old, May 15, 2005. Later that summer, I was driving to work one morning and I remember feeling so sad. I heard a song by Chris Rice, "Come to Jesus" and it reminds me of her everytime I hear it, still. I think because she had a very full life, with ups and downs. Lyrics are below. Enjoy them, and the picture. As Mimi would say, "Glad you got to see me!"



Weak and wounded sinner

Lost and left to die

O, raise your head, for love is passing by

Come to Jesus

Come to Jesus

Come to Jesus.... and live


Now your burden's lifted

And carried far away

And precious blood has washed away the stain,

so Sing to Jesus

Sing to Jesus

Sing to Jesus.... and live


And like a newborn baby

Don't be afraid to crawl

And remember when you walk Sometimes we fall...

so Fall on Jesus

Fall on Jesus

Fall on Jesus .....and live


Sometimes the way is lonely

And steep and filled with pain

So if your sky is dark and pours the rain,

then Cry to Jesus

Cry to Jesus

Cry to Jesus......... andlive


O, and when the love spills over

And music fills the night

And when you can't contain your joy inside,

then Dance for Jesus

Dance for Jesus

Dance for Jesus...... and live


And with your final heartbeat

Kiss the world goodbye

Then go in peace, and laugh on Glory's side,

and Fly to Jesus

Fly to Jesus

Fly to Jesus........... and live


Anita J. Riggan

July 6, 1928 - May 15, 2005

3 comments:

Hoots Musings said...

Mimi is dancing and singing with Jesus, and Papa is right beside her, they look the same, but they are whole. Papa is not crippled and Mimi has her real teeth.

That made me cry and is such a sweet testimony of your love for Mimi. Now go eat those banana's before they go bad. It is not good to let good food go to waste!

The Carr's said...

I remember when she would yell at the TV trying to solve the puzzle on Wheel of Fortune:)

Leslie said...

That's our MiMi...And how she used to get goofy when we played SkipBo and would sing songs about monkies and flag poles...I'm sure you know the rest of those songs without me elaborating. LOL!
And I would call her from Missouri and tell her how bad the roads were and she would tell me that they were crappy when she was a kid. I miss her so much sometimes, and still wish I could call her and have one of our hour long Sunday afternoon chats.
The song that gets me is "Old Rugged Cross" because I remember sitting with her and PaPa at Monterey and singing that song.

I'm so glad she got to be at your wedding and that she got to meet Lola. I wish that she'd be able to see when I get married again and have kids, but I know that her and PaPa and my Grandma and Grandpa are watching over all of us.

And like Summer said...That Wheel of Fortune...Oh her and PaPa would get so frustrated sometimes with the contestants on that show! LOL!

I need a tissue now...sniff sniff!