Monday, July 7, 2008

Nine Lives - Seriously???

Since I last posted, we have had a very interesting week. Last week I finally got our house semi-clean on Thursday morning. The kids and I were going to leave for a short grocery trip after lunch. Lola and I were in the garage looking for something, when I heard her say, "Good morning, kitty!" I looked over and saw my cat, Olivia, laying down with what looked like major injuries. So, I packed up the kids, put the cat in her carrier, and finally got ahold of our regular vet after driving around looking for one that was open at lunchtime. They told me to bring her right in.




That night, the vet called and said she would most likely recover in a few days. However, on Friday, they called again and said they had operated on her leg because she had gangrene and they had to remove some of the muscles. Then I learned that she might not be able to keep her leg! We were faced with the decision to have a 3-legged, unhappy cat, or put her to sleep.




To make an already long story a little shorter, we visited her and the vet said we didn't have to make a decision right then. He could continue to give her antibiotics and see if she improved. I was still pretty sure we would have to put her to sleep.




I talked to the vet today and he said she is showing signs of improvement and may be able to come home tomorrow!




When we visited with the vet Friday, he speculated that she may have been shot. How I feel about that is a whole other post.................they are not 100% sure how she was injured. Either a dog or a gun. Let me just say that neighborhood cats can be found in our front and backyard at multiple times every day and I have not once thought about shooting one of them, even though they are the ones usually attacking my cat!




We are wondering how in the world this cat is still alive! She has been beat up multiple times by other cats, and she still continues to recover. The problem with her is that she cannot defend herself outside because she only has back claws, but she runs out of the garage everytime it opens. I am not putting her food and water or her litter box in the house with little kids living here, so that is just going to have to stay in the garage. Basically, I am much too busy taking care of humans to pay a lot of attention to a cat right now. If anyone would be interested or knows someone who would be interested in giving Olivia a new home where she could stay inside all the time and get lots of attention, please let us know. She is a really sweet, fun kitty. She is 4 1/2 but still likes to play, and she will sleep at your feet at night if you let her. She doesn't eat much either.




We did get to enjoy the parade on Friday morning. Below is Lola and Deacon in their 4th of July outfits with Nana. I intended to get better pictures of them in their outfits because they looked SO cute, but Deacon's clothes don't usually last him more than a few hours (if you know what I mean), which was the case at the parade. Oh well.

Lola watching the parade with Nana and Aunt Gay.

Kicking back Deacon -style.

The best part of the day was that Dean and I went out for a few hours Friday night with some friends from his work. It was a lot of fun!


More pictures, updates, and "Conversations with Lola" coming soon!
~Jessica~


8 comments:

Hoots Musings said...

I was going to email you about Olivia! That cat has nine lives, and Lola does too.

This from Carma Lou this morning:
Saturday me and Jesse and Karen and Lola went to Rhon's to go swimming. It was quite eventful! Jesse destroyed the pool thermometer, and Lola fell in the pool without her floaties on. But, Alan saved the day and jumped in with all his clothes on and rescued her. I hope her swimming lesson went well yesterday. She is so adorable. Jesse told her she was "so cute". She forgot her sippy cup when we dropped them off at Jessica's, so Jesse took it up to the door for her. When he got back in the van he said "she is so cute" again. I think they would be good buddies if they got together very often.

Love,
Mom

Unknown said...

Poor kitty cat, she is a trooper. A doctor at Blake's animal clinic he worked for in Lubbock has a thing for 3 legged cats, if she gets a stuffed animal that is a cat, she cuts one of the legs off to make it a 3 legged cat.

By the way, you are looking hot!! That is a great picture of you and Dean out on the town :)

Eva

Leslie said...

Your mom told me that Gay is going to take care of Olivia. I'm glad! Poor pretty kitty! Your mom didn't tell me that she got hurt so bad!
I wish we could have her here, but with me being gone, that's too much to ask of Wyatt to take care of her, and we can't afford the pet deposit anyway.

Can't wait to see more pics and "Conversations with Lola" soon!

Love you guys, and I hope to come visit sometime soon!
OH! I'll send Lola some "Kid Postcards" from all the interesting truckstops I visit!

Leslie said...

Your mom told me that Gay is going to take care of Olivia. I'm glad! Poor pretty kitty! Your mom didn't tell me that she got hurt so bad!
I wish we could have her here, but with me being gone, that's too much to ask of Wyatt to take care of her, and we can't afford the pet deposit anyway.

Can't wait to see more pics and "Conversations with Lola" soon!

Love you guys, and I hope to come visit sometime soon!
OH! I'll send Lola some "Kid Postcards" from all the interesting truckstops I visit!

Leslie said...

Dang! Delete one of those comments because I'm a dingdong! LOL!

Hoots Musings said...

DingDong....LOL

Jessica, yes you look hot in the photo and Dean is so debonair (de-boner) in his spectacles!

Hoots Musings said...

Aunt Gay's beautiful kitty.

Leslie said...

HAY!!!

Aunt Gay's Beautiful Kitty was MY line!!!