Thursday, March 20, 2008

Really Long, but please read.

Hopefully this will be an informative post for our friends and family who live close by, and those who will be here from out of town when the baby is born. I don't know yet when he is coming, but I know that it will not be as late as my "official" due date for several reasons. So, in the next 2 or so weeks he should be here. However, I don't know anything yet because both of my doctors happen to be out of town this week for Spring Break. I had my weekly ultrasound today with the ultrasound tech and the nurse, and it looked good. I do have ultrasounds weekly since 32 weeks, and I also have Non-Stress Tests twice weekly because I have Gestational Diabetes. I had it with Lola and had to take insulin, so naturally I have it again. I do take insulin; however, it is not really a big deal to me because I did it before. That's why I haven't mentioned it before, because I don't want it made into a big deal, I know how to manage it, and it is under very tight control. If you are pre-disposed to diabetes because of family history (which I am), it will sometimes show up as Gestational Diabetes. It means that the pregnancy hormones cause my body to resist the insulin that my pancreas makes naturally. The insulin resistance increases as the pregnancy progresses. At first I was able to control it with diet, and the last month or so I have been on insulin. However, this doesn't mean that I am supposed to eat like a bird. I am supposed to follow my regular diabetes diet and take my insulin, which I do, and my blood sugars are controlled.

On to other matters. You may have noticed that we have been more private about this pregnancy - not that we withhold information if you ask. For instance, we didn't tell anyone until the very end of the 1st trimester. (Which is what a lot of people choose to do, in case of miscarriage.) Also, I don't offer the fact that I have diabetes again and that I am on insulin unless someone asks. The reasons for this are many. When we were pregnant with Lola, we obviously HAD to tell everyone because we wanted to get married. We went from Newlyweds to buying our first house, joining a church for the first time, all during a very complicated pregnancy and difficult financial time. We were parents 6 months and 5 days after our wedding day. We both gained instant family members that we were not used to having. We got lots and lots and lots of advice on EVERYthing that we did, from house-buying to how to feed our baby. All of the help and wisdom that people volunteered was much appreciated - we know it came from people who love us. I must be honest though, and say that at times, even now, family overwhelms me.

We are in a different place now. We have grown as a married couple and as individuals in countless ways the last 3 1/2 years. Lola is about to turn 3 and is very healthy and smart. She is going to be a great big sister. I am able to be at home nearly all of the time with her, and when I do work she is with Dean 95% of the time. Dean has a great position that he has worked very hard for at KCBD.

I am saying all of this because we need this time to be different. The first thing that I ask is that we do not have visitors when I am in labor. I prefer for it to be a personal, private experience for Dean and I and our new baby.
Secondly, after the baby arrives, I am open to family and friends coming to see him in the hospital as long as you call first and make sure it is a good time! I very much want to nurse this baby and I do not wish to do it in front of anyone except my husband and my nurses. (and Lola) Having a baby is also not really physically a pleasant thing, and I would like to know if someone is coming to my hospital room with at least a few minutes warning. We are also going to need sleep and time to bond with our baby.

I truly believe that the few days and weeks after a new baby are a time for us to bond with our baby as a family, and for me to heal. The first 2 weeks after Lola was born were very emotionally overwhelming for me, and I needed to be alone with her and Dean more that I needed anything else. If we need help in any way, we will ask. If we need advice, we will ask. Also, I would like Lola here with us as much as possible, so that she knows that she is still an important part of our family and so that she can get used to things. If I need help with her, I will ask. Please be mindful of my desire for privacy and time to heal, and for us to get used to being a family of 4.

We will have a birthday party for Lola (date and time TBA....) which should be a great time for everyone to come over and visit the new guy too.

Thanks for reading.

1 comments:

stephen b said...

I thought I got to catch the baby this time around . . .